David Brewer Elementary was first built in 1956. The school was named after influential Leavenworth resident David J. Brewer. Mr. Brewer was a local lawyer and judge, and also served as superintendent of both the city and county school districts. In 1889, Mr. Brewer was appointed to the U.S. Supreme Court by President Benjamin Harrison. He continued to serve in that role until his death in 1910.
Since it originally opened, David Brewer Elementary has been remodeled three times. The most recent renovations, which were completed in 2010, enlarged classroom sizes, upgraded electrical and plumbing, and added a FEMA certified storm shelter. Modifications included 48,519 square feet of renovation and the construction of 16,954 square feet of space.